Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Trems and no trems

The other night I was listening to Australian's, Ian McLean's web site
http://theatreorgans.com/ianmclean
and admired the way he played back and forth with trems and no trems. Sometimes our ears just get too tired of all the trems in theatre organ playing. British players tend to play with no trem more than American players. I broke out some of my Sidney Torch recordings to specifically listen how and when he did not use trem.

I started experimenting with a section of no trems using the diapason and horn diapason on my Miditzer in "Shangri-La." It was a refreshingly lush sound with ensemble playing (all on one keyboard) for a limited time. At the end of the piece with a fast run up the accompaniment manual to a jazz ninth (I think major ninth) chord at the end. The whole piece has a very different sound.

No comments: