Thursday, May 15, 2008

Surprise find!

After reading the article about the re-opening of local movie theatre in our local paper (The New Jersey Herald) today, I was surprised to read that it had an organ. I knocked on the door of the theatre on the way home today and it is right! There is a cute little Estey 2/3 organ. Because it was a home instrument, it is amplified through a speaker... and get this -- the speaker is a Leslie so when you turn on the tremulant, the speaker starts spinning. Nelson Page, the manager of the theatre is involved in TOSI and was excited to meet me. Another person in the theatre was very proud of the instrument and showed me the console and the chamber. Currently the organ's wind line is disconnected for painting but the organ will be played every Friday night before the 7:30 show. Since the organ was a home organ, there is roll player that is still in concert. I can't wait to hear this organ and try it out!

No comments: