Sunday, August 30, 2009

Heitz Wurlitzer - 2nd time round

I was really looking forward to the GTOS meeting at the Heitz home with her wonderful Wurlitzer. I played it last year (before I purchased my Allen) and it was my first shot at theatre pipes in close to 10 years. To say the least... it was not memorable. I was all ready this year but I had forgotten that the Wurlitzer had been fried by lightening in January. The poor guy who played the concert had to really struggle with it. I was all pumped when it was my time for open console. What a mess! Registrations changed indiscriminately, the swell shades would open wide suddenly and then close up. The trems would turn off when the stop tabs were still down. Because the meeting lasted so long, I was worried that I would not be able to play it. Well, they let me go first, but I finally gave up! Nothing happened at the instrument as I expected it to. The professional who played the concert was able to adjust mid stream... I finally gave up. It was a waste of the 1.5 hour trip each way. Oh well... better luck next time.

No comments: