Monday, June 30, 2008

Piano lessons

Oh, the problems of having taught myself piano. Over the years I have had several teachers who tried to pick up from -the skills I had, missing on some basic stuff I would have gotten much earlier if I had started with a teacher in the beginning. Saturday, my new teacher started me on Book I of the Aaron Adult method. While I know all the theory, timing, and rests, I need a lot of work on my finger position and fingering. My teacher explained to me that the reason I always hit a spot in my playing and could not go further was I was not paying attention to proper fingering and hand position. While this is tedious to start in the beginning of the book, we are moving very fast and I am sure this will be a big help later down the road. (I have to keep telling myself that... and I really do believe it although it is frustrating at times.)

No comments: